Thursday, May 3, 2007



Hello everyone,
I leave for Thailand on Cinco de Mayo, which is this Saturday afternoon, two days from today. Until today... actually until right now, I've been focusing on my fear mostly. There's malaria-infected mosquitos, pick-pockets to avoid, and fried insects sold on the roadside inducing weeklong bouts of diarrhea in a place where public toilets are rare and usually consist of floor level basins over which you squat (no toilet paper). ...There is much to be wary of.

Right now, however, I'm focusing on the fact that I've been waiting to do this for years, and that I've been ready for some time now.

I think that the best kind of excitement is the kind that is all wrapped up in fear. The knot in my stomach is a christmas eve, first airplane ride, about to jump off a cliff into water-knot. It is the weight of expecation, gathered over many years of waiting for an opportunity like this. It's my first trip by myself, and I can't wait.

I've created this blog so that my friends and family can periodically check to see if I'm still alive (mom), and hear about what I'm doing (everyone else). Here is my roughly scheduled itinerary:

Days 1 and 2: Bangkok. Arrive at hotel at 1:30 am, meet travel group at 6pm.
Days 3 and 4: Chiang Mai
Day 5: Chiang Rai
Day 6 through 8: Hillside Trek
Days 9 and 10: Golden Triangle
Day 11: Ayuthaya
Days 12 and 13: Kanchanburi
Days 14 and 15: Bangkok
Days 16 through 19: Khao Sok National Park
Days 20-23 Ko Pha Ngan Island
Days 24 -26: Ko Samui Island
Days 27 and 28: Bangkok
home.

I'm looking forward to the trip, and hope to keep in touch with everyone along the way! Wish me luck,
Katie

11 comments:

Unknown said...

hey katie its hannah
wow im very excited for u.
ive never been to thailand so i'll be stalking you on ur blog!
keep in touch! have fun!

Susan said...

Hi Katie,
Okay I've signed on and I'm ready to go. How was your taxi ride to the hotel? The weather here is beautiful and I imagined you sitting outside taking in the sun. Our cinco de mayo was fun and the food was great. Dad is proud of his BBQ'ing skills. Can't wait to hear from you. Take good care of yourself. Love. Mom

Anonymous said...

hi katie!! it's sunday may 6th here in gooood ol los angeles - and i've been asking myself all day..."i wonder what katie is doing right now!?!" and i do believe i will be asking myself this very question for the entire month you are away!! i am happy that you are off doing what you have always dreamed!! gooo lady!! anyhow i love you incredibly and hope your first day in a forgein land has treated ya well!! i can't wait to read about your adventures!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

yay!! sooo happy to hear you made it and you are enjoying yourself!! i can picture everything you said!!! man i wish i was walking down the street with ya!!! yayayayayayayayaa - is all i need to say!!!!

Anonymous said...

haha - anon was me!!

Unknown said...

katie i'm so proud of you having your own blog! im gunna read all your posts so take lots of pics and write lots of stories! hope your having fun

Dad E Oh said...

Katie Kidd,

It is now ten a.m. in Los Angeles, which ought to make it 1:00 a.m. tomorrow for you. I can't believe you are 13 hours ahead of us. In fact, you are on the opposite side of the globe; you couldn't have gone any further.

I am glad you arrived safely and that everything went as you planned. Bangkok sounds so exotic. I can't wait to read your next note.

This is the first time I have ever written on a blog. Staying connected is great.

Stay well kiddo,

Love from Dad E Oh

Susan said...

Hey Katie,
So glad to see that you arrived safely. Looks like you are making yourself at home already. I am excited to hear more news. Let me know what your group is like. We are fine here. Buckley is so funny. Yesterday she was sitting on the sill behind my laptop and peeking at me through the blinds. I could only see one green eye with a black slit in the middle of it. She looked so funny and scary at the same time. Wish I would have taken a picture. Saw Annie today and she looked great. Take good care and have a great time and take lots of pictures of people. Love, Mom

Erica Perez said...

hey kate,
sorry it's taken me a while to check out your blog. looks good! i'm excited for you. remember what i told you .... hehehe.
love you lots,
erica

Anonymous said...

KATIE!!! reading your last entry sent chills down my spine!!! your wirting is beautiful and when i close my eyes i can almost see and feel everything you have described!! it sounds like you are having an amazing trip - i can't wait to see your pics!! the temple on the hill (mtn) sounds wonderful - very peaceful (like you) i can't imagine the thoughts that went through your mind while staring out and over everything....

love you sooo much - thinking about you constantly

Susan said...

Hey Katie,
I can't believe all that you are experiencing. You'll be able to write a book! Well, this time on your raft trip you actually fell out. Remember Bend,Oregon? Dad had to pull you back down when you flew in the air and almost fell out. Thank God you are safe and your friend too. So do elephants smell as bad as camels? Your trek sounds very challenging. I also don't see myself anywhere that a mosquito net is required. I have enough with california mosquitos.
We are all well here. The family got together at Uncle Carlos'. Chris and Amy also went for about an hour and then proceeded to go camping in Anzo Borrego. Most of the cousins were there and asked for you. Chris will be visiting Erica for a week. Not much else going on here. Can't wait to hear from you again. Take care, Katie. My love to you. Mom

foggy mornings

Back in college I would occasionally get up early and sit on a bench that was carved out of a massive tree trunk and smoke cigarettes with m...